thesimplethingsinlife


Monday, December 12, 2005
Merry Effin' Ho Ho Ho!

Mel's Monster!

The weekend has come and gone and I'm am feeling not too bad. Did the family Christmas thing with Hubby's family. Mel and her family were wonderful hosts. Hubby spent quality time with his brother and us ladies had some very nice chats. Saturday we started the day early...I think we were just so anxious to get to Hell out of Dodge that we pushed ourselves to leave sooner than planned. Got to Greenville about two hours ahead of schedule. Getting there early gave hubby and babygirl a little time to relax before they headed off to the hockey game. They left around 3 that afternoon and Mel and I hit the booze. It only took us two both 2 drinks before we were tipsy enough to know we had better stop. I had the bright idea of going for a walk and let me tell you, downhill, in high shoes, in your jammies, and being as tipsy as I was wasn't an easy task. And you know, once you go dawnhill walking you then have to turn around and go UPhill to get home. Uphill wasn't as bad since I was not so tipsy on the way back. I had a vision of how that night would go and I certainly didn't plan on returning from that walk and falling asleep watching a movie. I kinda thought an all night party would have fun, with the fellas and kids joining us when they got home. BUT, my vision just didn't happen.
Sunday, the big party day for the whole clan, went EXACTLY how I envisioned it to be. I think in a way it disapointed Mel. We had all the food ready way ahead of schedule. By 11:00 a.m. we were all sitting in the living room just waiting for someone to show up early. Nobody showed until ten minutes before the time Mel told them food would be served, exactly the way I told her it would happen. I LOVE IT WHEN I'M RIGHT!! The food got overcooked but at least it was still edible. Within ten minutes of the first guest showing up, the rest of them had arrived also. Dinner was served immediately and we no sooner had the food off the table and the gifts HAD to be done (something else I TOLD her would happen). Within two hours the entire party was over and I have to say I was very disappointed with the day. Mel did her best job of playing hostess but theres only so much you can do when the guests have other ideas. And get this one...Hubby suggested that I do the family Chrsitmas party next year! NOT EVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!
On the way home, we had to stop at the parents house to do gifts with them and that was an unplanned thing also. I hate it when they have us do that...we walk in, gifts are handed out and tore into, then the stuff they give to us is packed quickly into the truck and off to home we go...and I'm not exaggerating when I say it happens just that fast! With it being my husbands parents, I'd rather just wait and have them down for a nice dinner sometime and do the whole gift thing then. At least we can have time to visit and enjoy each others company that way.
One more stop on the way home, at sister in-laws house to pick up something to do with knives that Hubby had to get. The ride home was a long one and once here we then had to unpack from the weekend and I'm ashamed to say that my house is still a mess because I just haven't had time to put everything away. Am I glad the whole thing is over? ABSOLUTELY!!! Merry Fucking Christmas! ( I didn't think it was appropriate to make that last line my title to this post!)
So, today I was riding in the truck, very early this morning I might add, on the way to Farmington to SHOP SHOP SHOP! YUCK! But you know, I felt different! I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders. I still am not sure why but I guess all the stress I've been dealing with over the last few weeks was all because of the damned Erickson Christmas. I didn't realize it until today that it had that much of an effect on everything else going on in my life but it does. I totally was looking forward to the weekend, spending it with Mel and her family, but there's just something about get togethers with that side of our family that stresses us both to the max. Now I just have 365 days to prepare myself for the next one. ARGH!! Maybe I'll SKIP the whole thing next year!
To Mel... Thank you for being a great host for our weekend and I totally am sorry that it wasn't all you had hoped it would be. Tim, Kristen and I had a wonderful time with you guys, at least until about 1:00 Sunday and we look forward to getting together with you again very soon.
As for the rest of you bloggers out there, all two others of you that actually read my ramblings, I will end this post now before going on to a new subject. But believe me when I say I have a whole lot more to say so be prepared. Til next time...Luvs to you all!