thesimplethingsinlife


Tuesday, December 20, 2005
These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown papper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and snitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eye-lashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad...



This is my favorite Christmas Time song. I know it's not the traditional Ho Ho Ho Here Comes Santa music but the lyrics in this song are so true...for me anyway. My blog is titled "The Simple Things" for a reason...I am not a material person...the simply things in life make me the most happy.

So, as the song is titled...These are a few of MY favorite things...(thanks to you Scotty, for the idea for this post!)

A few years ago I recieved a very special gift form a very special cousin of mine. She was a graphic design major at RIT and she had something in her art portfolio that is very close to my heart. One of her assignments for her portfolio was to do a graphite sketch from a photograph. One of the pictures that she did she gave to me when she moved after college to live in California. This is what it is...


This is a picture of my Baby Girl! The digital doesn't do it justice but you all get the idea. It is framed on an antique silver frame and hangs on my living room wall. You can even see the perfect lines in the palm of my daughter's hand. She had only gotten her two front teeth at this point and my cousin even gives you a glimpse of them in the drawing. She did a remarkable job and captured the true image of my baby. I will cherish this for all of my life...Thank you Michelle!

When I was little, The Peanuts (Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy Van Pelt, Schroder...) was a very popular comic strip. It was, and still is, my favorite of all time! One birthday, my parents gave me a Stuffed Snoopy. He had RED ears and was stuffed with sawdust. Where they got him I have no idea. I slept with him every night, and he lay in the exact same spot in my bed every night, until I moved out and started living with my husband. Over the years he got quite damaged and dirty. Being stuffed with sawdust, I have no idea how to clean him. He is still just the cutest in my eyes...here he is...

He used to be bright white but living in a house with two parents that smoked made him so he isn't white at all anymore. Any ideas on how to clean him without ruining him would be greatly appreciated!

One of my other favorite things is every year at this time Hubby, Baby Girl and I take time to go for an evening walk to look at all the holiday displays around town. We bundle in our coziest winter attire and head out. The best of these walks is when there is a light glistening snow falling. It makes the lights seems so much more festive. When we return home we make hot cocoa and pop in a classic Christmas show and cuddle under blankets. It's one Chrsitmas tradition I hope we never outgrow.

Animals hold a special place in my heart...not only the domestic ones but even the wild ones. Birds in my feeders, seeing a moose on our evening rides in the summer, the sparkling eyes of the deer we feed in the winter. Here are three more...

I know you've seen these guys before, but theya re very dear to my heart. Almost like my own kids. All you animal lovers out there can relate to what I'm saying. The first two are very old, going on 20. They still have all the spunk of a little kitten and they give me unconditional love every day of my life. The third is Baby Girls baby boy. He is a royal pain in the you know what but still gives us kisses and greets us at the door when we've been away. I will never be without animals in my house. Cats are my favorite but dogs are pretty high up there on my list too.

There are so many more favorite things I could tell you about...The obvious ones are Family, new-found friendships, The smile on my daughters face, cuddling with my husband...So many more...
Hope You All Have A Wonderful Holiday, And Take The Time To Stop And Remember The Simple Things! Kisses and God Bless...