thesimplethingsinlife


Wednesday, August 30, 2006
School Daze

Once again we must put away our flip flops and beach towels and head back to school. Today my baby starts High School. This is her...she has grown up so much in the past few months...
It certainly has been a summer to remember. We have laughed and loved, and even fought like bobcats at times. Overall it was a terrific summer. Baby is looking forward to a new school and new friends and new teachers this year. She will be leaving behind some of the younger students that she became best friends with last year but we live right in town so she'll still be able to see them after school. She will also be leaving behind her boyfriend. He is a grade behind her. They are very close in age but Baby started school when she was 4. I would love to post a pic of them together but the little shits won't let me get any new shots of them. He is a very nice boy and has stolen my heart, or at least a big piece of it. He isn't without fault...he dumped my baby twice this summer...and some of you might think she's stupid for taking him back but you wouldn't say that if you could see them together. I actually like that he has faults...makes him very interesting. They are both having a hard time with the fact that they will be in different schools this year but I honestly think it will be for the best. Instead of meeting each other in hallways and glancing at the classroom door every five minutes to see if the other might be walking by, they will be able to concentrate of thier schoolwork and and still be able to see each other after school and on weekends. And as all of us know time apart makes it less boring when we are together.
Well, enough about the two of them...High School!!! Wow! When did my precious little girl grow up to become a freshman? Seems like just yesterday I was playing jump rope with her and reading stories at bedtime. She is a beautiful young lady with a strong sense of values and a pretty good mind. I hope she goes far in life and reaches for the stars. I remember my high school years. Times were so different back then. That was the day when smoking was permitted by students, and a lot of us were hyped up on speed before our first class started. High School dances were no more than a make out session in every corner and although most of us got fairly decent grades, there wasn't as much pressure to excel to the highest level. I squeaked by with B's C's and D's...and an occasional F. Now kids are expected to get straight A's. They can't smoke, which is a good thing, and if caught with drugs juvey would be their nesting place for a while. All in all I'm hoping for a terrific year without much drama. I would like to see my babe form some long lasting friendships and experience something new every day. I still can't believe she's in High School already...where has the time gone?